Well my spanky new shiny master cylinder arrived on saturday , and today i fitted it and it was a good fit , i even used some stainless bolts .all the hydraulics fitted ,and i was good to go with filling the reservoir...
pumpy mcpumpy on the pedal got no where ,so i thought , maybe the reservoir is blocked ,so i took its bottom pipe off ,and blew it out ,all clear ..bum.
took apart each junction and got fluid bubbles to the servo and then out of the servo , so i though i'll bleed each junction by pumping the pedal with each joint cracked open .
This actually worked, much to my A .and i had a good pedal , so with the front bleed screw open i happily pumped away,checked the nipple and nothing coming out , but the pedal was going down .hhhmmm..
crept underneath and shone the torch on the o/s rear drum , ah , that will be where my fluid is going , running down the tyre .
so , after lunch , i took off the rear wheel spat , and looked at that familiar sight ,a half undone wheel nut , oh oh ..deja vu.
yup , all five nuts span the studs , and the nuts don't unscrew , the new wrinkle is,i cannot undo the flange because it is a taper fit to the half shaft . ...and you have to use a puller , i can't use a puller cos the wheel is on .....
in other news , i then went and started the ring gapping ,i checked my 200 tdi ring ..
bit tight ,
thats better .45mm end gap .
tomorrow i pack a circular ring of semtex on the rear wheel drum , and pop it off .
Well, my cunning plan , was derailed since my usual semtex supplier was delayed by a body cavity search in the customs shed in Tijuana.
so plan B , was to have a think and then realize , if the wheel stud lock nuts on the back of the flange have come off , then perhaps i could jack up the car , (which is now on two wobbly axle stands at the front , and one scissor jack at the rear O/S) , then maybe i could pull on the wheel , and undo all the 4 remaining wheel nuts , and unscrew the studs from the flange ..
Amazingly it worked , ..
which it shouldn't have done if the locknuts were there ,so i expected to find the locknuts lying in the drum,well not only were there none , i also found out why it would not bleed ,was it a faulty wheel cylinder i hear you ask ..er ...noo.....
my car has done a cinderella , and run off without any shoes !
i then had to get the wheel nuts off the studs , so out with the big vice (we all have one)
and they were bloody tight ,nearly had to scaffold pole the vice handle.
then spent sometime cleaning threads and making it all ready to weld the studs back in,
i was a bit stuck for locknuts , then found the limo front flanges had ones that fit ..
on one of the studs , its flange thread was so rounded off i could not get a nut on it to clear it , so i found a 1/2 unf die , and put 4 threads on it ,(the wrong thread for the nut) , then used those 4 threads to start the nut , and then use the nut to clean and make good , and a small file to bring it back to bsf or whatever it is .
Then turned my attention to the slave cylinder , i knocked out the one stuck piston, and the bore was a touch , scabby , ..
so got out the magic hone..
looks a bit better ..
and then got on the pu ,and ordered new seals ...the old ones were demogrifying.
it was nice to see good solid rear chassis rails .
Good to see progress being made. Can't see how the designer thought screw in wheel studs were ever going to be a good idea. Enjoying your writing style too. A brilliant combination of description and humour.
yup i can get to the back of it , however , so far so good , i reckon the other side will be the same , especially since i appear to have a set of slightly used rear brake shoes and springs in the heap of bits that came with the car .