I bought this Avenger in about 2001 when I was 18. It was my second car after a Hillman Imp.
I used it as a daily driver in its Dukes of Hazzard colours until 2009, during which time it had the usual parts welded and repaired.
In about 2006, I managed to buy some 2nd hand turbo parts for the car (from Vambo on here I think). This included an exhaust manifold, turbo carb and plenum and a few turbo's which needed rebuilding.
Over the next few years my Dad and I started putting together the parts to turbocharge the car and convert to fuel injection, using Megasquirt which was pretty new at the time.
I bought an ecu and we started making/modifying the parts required on a spare engine.
We put a Scorpio swirl pot into the fuel tank, along with the pump cradle (the pump was upgraded to a Walbro unit).
A Sierra 36-1 trigger wheel was attached to the crank pulley:
A sump baffle was added, along with a stub for the turbo oil return:
We fabricated an inlet manifold from Aluminium, which would mount a set of 45mm Lotus esprit throttle bodies and the plenum. It also has injector bosses and a vacuum/boost rail built in to drive the map sensor, boost guage, servo, etc. The fuel rail was made from square section tube and the top hats were turned and then brazed to it. Fittings were brazed to either end. Lots of care was then taken to match the ports between the throttle bodies/manifold/head so that there are no steps. This stage of the project took ages.
The engine itself is a 1600, with a Ti head. New valves were fitted along with K line valve stem inserts. The static compression ratio was reduced to 8.5:1 by deepening the dish on the top of the pistons. All the components were balanced meticulously and the conrods were lightened. The rotating assembly was then dynamically balanced.
The block also had grooves cut into the deck for wire ringing.
There were of course many many other little jobs along the way which means it took a couple of years to get to this point. Here is a picture of the manifolds test fitted onto the engine in the car.
And on the 'new' engine:
The turbo itself is a T3 hybrid which I built during a university placement when I worked at Garrett.
By this time it was 2009, and I went on a round the world trip with a friend and ended up being away for 4 years. The car was put into a rented garage, where it stayed unused for the next 8 years.