All these pictures are taken before rebuild, when I wanted to sell the car. Car was good but not realy good. Interior was a bit worn, car has been repainted but not very tidy, all suspension bushes were Powerflex, braided brake hoses, Bilstein dampers. It was just too hard to drive normally and very suspension noisy. More to come soon.
Thank you, well complete rest, arghhh, rebuild. Engine, suspension, brakes interior, electrics. Restoration for me is repair procedure with original parts, changing body parts as whole parts and so on. But it was a big rebuild. It took 2 years to complete but I had some other car distractions during these 2 years. I bought the car in the time of another big project. My wife and I were just starting a big renovation and extension of our house. During all this house work I had no time to deal with the car so I just drove it even as daily one winter thanks to drunk driver that killed our daily Alfa. As soon as we mooved back in the house I started working on M3.
First, before all the works I had the seats redone. I did it this way because company that does this is 300 km away and I still had a valid MOT. Marked in red are some details that really annoyed me. If you look at the front end you can tell that it is not perfectly alligned, rear arches are rolled because of those massive OZ rims and I had spacers in rear to get normal look. But I think that it was a good base for works as the car did not show any significant rust or accident damage. I also did a full vanos rebuild although diagnosis did not show any faults car had a rattling sound from the head when on full load, low revs uphill. It also had a missfire when oil was at 90 C but not all the time. Vanos rebuild did not solve the problem but I eventually found what was the cause.
Yes, seats have been fully redone. All new leather and partially new foam - almost whole drivers seat and 1/2 passanger seat. These pictures do not show them as they are rigt now as leather had shrunk a bit so it looks much better now.
First I marked out every thing that bothered me. Car had only one full respray and partial respray before that on left side. Later I found out that fron left wing has been changed and that rear quater was a bit more damaged. Car looked nice from 2 meters but when you looked closely it showed a lot of imperfections in paint.
You can also see that it experienced a lifting jack faliure on rear left quater. Also in these pictures rolled out rear arhes can be seen.
Also clear coat was a bit soft so car needed constant care. I presume that this was because of cheap Italian clear coat with low percentage of hard matter. I decided to go with german products: Carsystem fillers and Glasurit paint and topcoat. As I drove the car hard for 20.000 km before taking it apart I had a clear picture what was to be dealt with. First on the list was stupid alarm/code reader like USB stick form 90s. This car is pre ews and has no original antitheft protection. Also manufacturer is not BMW ag but Motorsport gmbh.
Well I can`t tell you anything about 3,2 as I never driven or owned one but I think think that it is a bit better car. I think that Motorsport division made a better car, more drivable. I read that it has more power mid range and is more smooth. Steering rack is significantly better than 3.0 as 3.0 racks are the slowest of any e36. 3,2 is a bit heavier but it is 6 speed and a bit better balanced. All in all I think that 3,0 is harder to drive at normal speeds. And one more important thing 3,2 had from factory different hardness of rod bearings and dual pickup oil pump that feeds the engine even on hard braking. Now back to works. I peeled everything from rear quaters (good news was that they had 0 rust) but rear left quater was heavily distorted form colision damage. It was not a hit at that side but more likely some skidding or highway barrier at high speed. It was realy difficult to get that side into dimension.
Next was electrics. I had few issues: car would sometimes unlock after first locking attempt, right mirror would not work, luggage compartment light would not work and my beloved alarm/blocade. In picture with red circle is location of fault ground wire responsible for unlocking. Loom that goes into luggage compartment door was also with multiple cracks. I tried to use same color of wire.