Its doing my head in now ! The Volvo ecu is definitely not easy to remap, a few tuners wont touch it, I am waiting on one last guy to get back to me and then I will know my route. Hes pretty much the best in the business so I am sure he will have some good advice.
I have noticed there are a couple of 2.5 ecu's on ebay , that have just been cut at the wiring to the plugs. I reckon I could wire those ones into the rest of the Volvo loom, I'm just a bit worried about jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire!! I have spent a serious amount of hours on this already........
Engine is pretty much ready to go back in. Painted fuel pump and fuel lines. Both manifolds painted and back on. Turbo oil feed line.
Turbo is stock Volvo for now. May upgrade to a VNT unit at a later point.
So now I'm stuck at the gearbox. I sourced an 02g box out of the more powerful 102hp trandsorter. Its fairly low mileage at 130k. Ive been recommended to have it rebuilt with new bearings and seals and been quoted a good price. Still more than I can afford at the moment though. So that will be holding up proceeedings for a while. I may just fit it temporarily to get the van up and running.
I have the flywheel and clutch out of my brothers t4 (88hp) which is in good condition and good for 150hp.
Once the engine and box are together and in its a bit easier. Then it will be - Install tdi wiring loom Find a firm to program ECU Route intake piping Fabricate 2.5 inch stainless exhaust
With the engine back in, its very clear that there is going to be a lot going on, on the passenger side of the engine bay. Battery, air filter, intake piping to and from the turbo and heater pipes for the front and rear matrix....oh and all the gearshift mechanism. All in an already cramped engine bay... So to reroute things, I thought Id alter the V70 inlet manifold to open on thr drivers side. The pics should show the progress...
I really enjoyed chopping up and reshaping the manifold. Aluminium is cool to work with. Its all TIGed back up and looks a lot better in the bay.
On a T4, Vw decided to route the engine loom in the stupidest of routes. Right over the rocker cover and all over the place. My OCD didnt like this, so I opted to remake and re-route the loom. Running down the drivers inner wing and along the back of the crash bar. Quite an easy job actually. A few wires to shorten,a few to lengthen. But looks a lot tidier
Thought Id check in to see how this was going, I have shifted to another project now!! Nice to see your doing some work on this again.
I ended up going with a new loom and ECU (vw) I spent way too much time messing around with that Volvo ECU and wiring, it still bugs me why I couldnt get it going though!
If you have any issues getting it going then let me know, I reckon I covered most things when I couldnt get mine going.
I have been driving it around for over a year now and I can honestly say it was worth it. I'm only running low power (I have the 102bhp map) but compared to the 2.4 that came out of it ...., its silky smooth with loads of effortless low down torque and boost. It transformed the van, and has been reliable.