Back in Jan we were given six weeks notice to leave our current unit. Yeah, even in the middle of lockdown. Cheers and that.
Anyway, I found somewhere else where I’ll be on my own, which I’m more than happy with, but sadly no ramps anymore. This inconvenience meant I’d have to move not only a huge amount of stuff but also my cars. I managed to temporarily re-home the Jag with my mate back in January as soon as I heard we were getting the boot to give us more space while we cleared out. The Sunbeam Bodyshell had only just returned from metalwork but was thankfully on a wheeled trolley so at least it could move to wherever it needed to go. The Alfa was Finally sold after I took it out of daily use back in July to do some jobs on it and prepare it for sale.
The new place needed plenty of work to get it habitable as the previous tenant was, to put it bluntly, an absolute tramp. A good scrubbing, a splash of paint and 5 jumbo Sprinter loads and 12 car loads later and I’d moved in, still with plenty to do.
Friday the 19th March was collection day for the Triumph. I managed to arrange it so that I could drop the Sunbeam off for paint, collect the Triumph and drive the Jag back. No dramas, this was done as planned.
Before starting work to reassemble the Triumph, it had been my intention to get some stuff out of boxes and in their proper places, as well as getting some decent lighting in there as it was absolutely pitch black in there. However, the day after its arrival, I was desperate to get some bling back on it.
12 days off work for Easter and I set myself the target of getting back on the road within this timeframe. First job was wire brushing the underbody before treating the surface rust. I swerved the Kurust for this and bought myself some of this:
It’s slightly thicker than Kurust and a little goes a long way. I’d recommend it. After this it was onto etch primer and then under sealing. I didn’t use the spray on Schultz, I brush painted the Waxoyl underbody treatment onto the underbody, wheelarches and front valance. Waxoyl followed this, battering the sills, doors, inner wheelarches and box sections. The car had been ziebarted from new so I used these access holes and fitted new bungs once complete.
After this I could start building up. Before this started I gave the back of the bumper parts a few coats of black paintBefore assembling them and also the wooden dash and door cappings got a few more coats of varnish for refitting at the end of the week.
The front end was first, refitting the lights and grille.
After this the bumpers and trim. I decided to refit the reverse light, in the original location. I decided to refit it after cleaning it up and mainly because it was a dealer fit accessory and the car was bought not a mile from our current home. I didn’t wire it to the gear-lever, it’s on a chrome period toggle switch under the dash. The toggle has a very bright blue LED in the tip that’s invisible when it’s off but lights up the whole footwell when it’s on, so no danger of mistakenly leaving it on.
The dash was then built up before refitting the boot and interior trim.
The home straight now, oil and filter, plugs and an Accuspark distributor and coil before starting up. After setting the timing everything was working fine. Time to venture home with it.
First trip Home was highly eventful. After clearing Aintree Racecourse the car seemed to be behaving superbly, however...
About 2 miles from home it spluttered to a halt. A quick check confirmed no fuel flow so I immediately suspected crud in the filter from the tank. After priming the float chamber again it started up and I continued, until the bowl emptied again, depositing me once again at the side of the road. After a couple more episodes of this I made it home via stopping for a chippy tea. It was getting plenty of admiring glances outside.
Next day I dismantled the line, blowing it through with an airline and replacing the filter. Me and a few of the lads went out for a quick run to Southport that evening and it was fine, although bloody freezing.
The following week I took it for its MOT. Flew through and was behaving fine. I wanted to do a bit of work at the new unit following the MOT so I drove over there. After I got there, I stopped outside where it stalled and then wouldn’t restart. More crud from the tank? Again, blew through the tank and changed the filter. Worked ok on the way home.
Next day I was supposedly heading out with my mate with his lovely Dolomite for both cars to be filmed for someone’s YouTube channel. The filming was cancelled but we decided to go out for a run anyway. Long story short, five breakdowns, one right in front of the entrance of a packed Sainsbury’s.
After looking at the circumstances of every breakdown it had, it started acting the fool not long after it had been stationary. After conversing with a fellow owner on the Facebook Group for these cars, he said he had murder with aftermarket Chinese made mechanical fuel pumps vapourising the fuel once the engine bay temperature rose. This made perfect sense as every breakdown occurred after a stop. Removing the feed pipe to the carb when hot confirmed it was the pump vapourising the fuel.
So, next job is the fitting of an electric fuel pump. Just waiting on a few parts before fitment. I’ll let you know how I get on. Finally got some decent light into my unit too. 👍