Then we just sort of parked up, real life and boring work stuff came along, and the eternal "We will pull the van out in the spring and finish the jobs that need doing" turned in to the summer, and then autumn, and then we will do it next year etc.
I have a soft spot for those old Merc's. I put half a million miles on a 510D in my youth. I've been considering a Transit camper for a bit now but I think I might start looking at these as well. Have you looked at the newer generators? They run on a sniff of fuel, almost silent and makes things like hot water or fridges cheaper.
Repair panels for the worst of the rust grot hot-spots are still available from Germany and Poland. Vans and campers pop up fairly regularly on evil bay, I guess most rotted away years ago. An early Sprinter engine would sort the woeful lack of power.
We considered a generator, but for the initial outlay we thought we could burn an awful lot of diesel to keep the batteries topped up. I have a plan for using a 24volt night heater from a lorry for heating to save on gas (think Webasto diesel "blown air" heater but cheaper to buy) if I can get it to work.
I took a week off work to try and get the van road worthy a few weeks back. Last time it was tested we struggled to get the rear brakes right, so ordered new shoes and drums. Obviously we ordered the wrong ones, so spent most of the week parts chasing. Drums were hard to find but available, the shoes were impossible. We had the old ones re-lined. Guy said on the phone it would be a couple of days, when I dropped them off a different guy said it might be four. In the end it was a week (Monday lunch time 'till Saturday Morning) I wouldn't mind if only he had said a week in the first place? Anyway, had to cancel the MOT as no shoes. Fitted new brake hoses too.
Also no pictures as always I was in a mad rush. One day a job will go to plan and we won't end up rushing to get it finished in time to pack up before dark. The van isn't at home, so it's not always convenient to work on it.
Eventually took it for test. The brakes were bang on, but binding a bit as I was "enthusiastic" adjusting them, thinking they would bed in on the way to the test station.
Failed on that. And rust. I thought it might, but was hoping it would scrape through enough to get it mobile. More on that in a bit...
^^It surely would. Probably leave the camper part behind... Very, very long term loose plan/dream is a 5 cylinder out of a Sprinter. I think it should fit without having to loose any cab space due to length.
Anyway.. Faced with the rot, I decided to get serious. Yep. It was time to faff about with some lights.
The bulb on the left had broken it's collar thing and was rattling around. The one on the right was "working" perfectly, and glowing in a delightfully retro way. None of your super bright LED nonsense here.
Both headlights were cleaned of dead spiders and are ready for re-fitting, with new halogen bulbs.
Side repeaters emptied of soil and gack-
Internet points awarded to skylinedave, oldskoolmat, ChasR, slater and discostew38 for correctly identifying the intercooler. I had a local lad lined up to re-core it, who said he could do it, no mither. 10 days later, he said he couldn't get a core for it, so I went to pick it up. He then said he could re core it with a generic core. By that time I was fed up with faffing, so got one off eBay for £notmuch.
OOOhhh that looks like a good'un from the picture. Looks to be the same interior layout as ours too. As for getting the screws out...It's pretty awkward, as it sounds as if you have found out, they seem to be built inside out and then clad in aluminium skin. In the kitchen some of ours were so rusty they snapped off. Others we carefully took apart what we could and got a hacksaw blade or grinder behind them to slice them off.
How much have you taken out? Once the hob, sink and drainer are off, the fridge and oven are pretty easy and then "the dog can see the rabbit" and start carefully chopping. I remember the work top being really well screwed in. I think that was probably the hardest bit. At least if you are building a new interior toy don't have to worry about breaking the old bits...
We left the bathroom/kitchen wall in as it looked a world of pain to remove easily.
We took the seat/bed bases out to fit new lino down, I can't remember how bad it was but seem to recall it was much less destructive. Think it's screwed in from the inside.
cheers for the advice, we have stripped a lot of it but have left the bathroom and kitchen counter for last, the hardest part that i can see doing soon is removing the over head cupboards as they are all screwed in from the ceiling. But i will take your advice and hopefully have a shell of a van soon
One of the old MOT patches was made out of aluminium. Aluminium. Jim, who did the welding, was quite impressed. It was sort of welded/melted on loosely around the edges. He has seen fibreglass, filler, paper mache before, but never aluminium.
I can't take any credit, I just took loads of overtime at work in order to pay for it!
Then hung new panels. Never really faffed around with body work before, I can see now why folks don't like pattern parts.
These look good in the pictures, they need to come off again for fettling, painting and some more welding. I am in no means a perfectionist, but I want to tidy them up a bit. However, first stage is done, enough to get through MOT.
I am going to have a word with Santa about a new bonnet, or perhaps the old one can be repaired.
Felt a bit sad as the old parts were dumped on the scrap pile.