This week I decided to increase the rake on my front seats, to give more leg support as it's not very comfortable to drive long distances. No leg support = backache after a while.
I thought this would be an easy job, but it was unbelievable faff and took me most of the week.
The seat bottoms were originally pretty flat and used the Rover runners. Here is an old picture.
The Rover runners are heavy and not very well suited to being modified, so I dug out my original Avenger runners and decided to adapt them to the seats. Unfortunately they were in pretty poor condition though and needed some renovation.
The main problem I had was that the seats are right on the limit in terms of width. They just fit between the seatbelt reel at the bottom of the B-post, and the prop tunnel with about 5mm to spare on either side. However, as soon as I tilted the seats back to a position I was happy with, the handwheel for the recline mechanism hit the seatbelt reels.
After pondering this for a while, I decided that I would refit the original static seatbelts and do away with the ineria reels. This would give me enough clearance and make the job much easier. However, my Dad then suggested that I might be able to remove the little gearboxes on the sides of the seats, and then raise up the handwheels to give enough clearance. I tried this, and luckily enough there was the same DD fixing allowing me to do this.
I could then swap the drivers and passengers seats around, putting the handwheels in the middle of the car, and they just clear the prop tunnel. This unfortunately meant I had to lose the centre console device that sits around the handbrake, but I can live with that.
The Avenger runners were pretty rusty and one of the springs had snapped, so I had to make another from an old spring I found in the garage.
Some of the ball bearings had escaped from the runners so an old bearing donated some replacements.
Also rather annoyingly, the two seats had different mounting attachments. The drivers seat was originally height adjustable, so each runner had to be designed differently.
Anyway, I got there in the end and I'll let the pictures do the talking.
IMG_20210411_160656 by Chris Witkowski, on Flickr
I also made a new steering wheel centre out of a Vaseline tin lid, as the old one (made from a deodorant lid!) was getting a bit tatty.