Last time in Maidstone I brought the rusty replacement brake spring back home. This thing…
It’s sitting on the sand blaster because that’s where it went next.
Some considerable time later it was a lot cleaner.
Took some doing though. A fair bit of time and air was expended.
Next it got a coat of etch primer, a couple of coats of high build primer, sanded, painted black, clear coated, flatted and polished.
Nah! Course not. It got some etch and some black.
Then, just as I’d finished that little job Ian emailed me.
“How would you like to spend another Friday fondling our 85 year old mistress who habitually makes a mess on the floor?”
Well what’s not to like?
Ok, if we are being strictly honest he didn’t say that at all. He said “I’m off to the Peoples Democratic Republic of Maidstone if you’d like to come?”
Ok, he didn’t exactly say that either but I reserve the right to embellish slightly in the interests of creating an interesting read.
Anyway, like I said, what’s not to like?
By the time I got to Maidstone Ian had got the stuck exhauster crank off the engine. That was the end of that job because he now needs a new woodruff key to fit it back on again.
I started the day cleaning the sump and putting JB weld on it.
At some future date we’ll find out if the old Gardner is still dribbling on the floor.
My next job was to finish the fuel tank install that I started last time. I had to trim the bottom off the studding and fit the lock nuts. Like this…
The inboard end of the lower tank straps has a single nut which is obviously liable to come off. To stop that there is a hole in the thread with a split pin that stops the nut falling off even if it tries.
And the last tank job was to get the outlet pipe on. I’d tried to do this last time and couldn’t get it to line up enough to get the threads to bite.
This time I undid a nearby pipe clamp so I had a bit more wiggleability and it just went together.
Wiggleability? Is that a word? Well if it isn’t it damn well should be.
Meanwhile Ian had been bolting pipes to the engine. These are all the ones to the fuel sucky uppy thingy.
One of these is the injector spill off pipe which goes back to the Fuel Sucky Uppy Thingy. I hadn’t even noticed that they were missing. Good job Ian did or we’d have had high fuel consumption and very diluted oil.
Ian then got defeated by a vacuum pipe that feeds a vacuum gauge in the cab. Neither of us could make sense of the routing or the fact that it seems to be too short. I think we’ll have to take the cab floor out AGAIN so we can make sense of it.
Lastly I roughly bolted the lights to the front. You can see a side light under the Fuel Sucky Uppy Thingy in that photo above. Here are some more.
Look, it has trafficators!
The one on the near side isn’t parking properly. It sits a little proud out of its box so it’ll need a looking at. I mean, it probably doesn’t matter, but it’ll annoy me every time I look at it so I’ll have to try and fix it.
I don’t know if you noticed but the head light looks too small for the hole. That’s because the head light is too small for the hole.
When I first realised this I commented that it was going to look a bit silly. Looking at the photo I’d now comment that it looks a lot silly.
From the factory the bus would have been fitted with bigger lights that filled the hole. But they were expensive when they got broken and Bristol made a different bracket to take smaller lights. That’s what’s fitted to GKE.
Still looks silly though.
Finally I think we need a little chat about where the project is and where are going with it.
The sump is fixed (hopefully) so we can chuck some oil in the engine. We need some washers for the various sump plugs though.
If Ian gets the exhauster and front covers back on we can then get the radiator back on too.
We need an oil pressure gauge and a few other bits of pipe fitted.
We need to go through the throttle linkage which isn’t a free as it needs to be.
We have a 12V starter fitted.
At that point the only thing stopping us winding the engine over to see if there is oil pressure is ‘commissioning all the electrics’. Yeah, that’s a biggie.
Ian dropped off a battery and said he usually commissions the electrics by looking for sparks (or something like that) but I have a bench PSU that we could hook up and prove a lot of it. It won’t mind being short circuited if something goes a bit Pete Tong.
Once that’s done we could be trying to fill the garage with authentic Gardner diesel smoke.
Hmmm. I don’t want to get your hopes up ‘cos it’s going to be a while yet, but things are getting interesting.