Yep still for sale today - I could buy a new body tomorrow or a rear section but where's the challenge and besides I would lose those 25 years of Patina. Not sure what the kit is actually based on these days.
Anyhow there are some things that the factory did to this car that pose the odd question ! As I said I dislike the Escort binnacle and switchgear and I really do not like the silly angle it sits at and the way it means the dash ends up a bit of a mess. whilst removing the column to remove the steering lock etc. I found this.
Chopped out by the factory as the roughly cut edges are galvanised! - Here's the thing the column does not even touch that tube and if it did you move the tube up or box it back in - you do not do that.
I also have a bulkhead/firewall to try and seal.
Yep wood packers required as the body mount/bulkhead is in the wrong place.
.... but that Spridget frame is a bit too clunky look wise. A Cobra windscreen would look better on it, but is probably too wide for it.
Cobra is a huge car so would be over hanging the body on the Gem - However, it would not be difficult to bend an alloy channel frame - like Westfield/Caterham/Locost/Dutton etc. etc. to suit the Midget screen and slim the whole thing down. Interesting thought.
fr€$h&m1nt¥ I think that's the problem with the back end on the Gem' the treatment is three decades out of line with the rest of the cars styling. You have to employ a certain amount of sympathy to the design when creating these things otherwise all balance is lost and the whole thing just looks awkward, just calling it awkward is being kind.
When having a good search for these cars on the web - not much to find as there are so few about - none really seem to be built outside of the bolt on the Escort gear and drive. I would have thought that there would have been a market for parts to provide a more authentic approach. Why go to effort of period seats, aeroscreens, wheels, instruments and all that and leave Escort cowl and stalks when all that is required is half a dozen Lucas switches.
Bonnet is on with Dzus - Just need to get some alloy coloured ones as the ones I have are Pas'.
On yours can you recall what the gauge of the alloy was for the floors because mine are really thin too thin really - the panelling I am not really concerned with although that is also thinner than I would have used - probably gone for 1mm on the panels and 1.6 on the floors but pretty sure this is something silly like 0.8mm throughout and the floors are flimsy.
No idea why that from section is as long as it is - no need for it at all.
The car was originally built by a friend in about 1992 and as far as I can remember the alloy came from Autotune, yes the floor was very flimsy. But so is the body, very thin and lightweight, built for a purpose! When I got the car I had to do a lot of bodywork as the slightest knock caused big gel cracks. Still it looked alright in the end, good enough to paint black anyway.
After the works non the G15's I swapped back to doing a bit on the Gemini
Continuing to unwire it - loom pretty well out completely only the rear loom is still in the car and that can stay. Removed all the ply and vinyl and foam etc and give it a good sweep and clean out.
Took the front lamps out as the steel bowls for the lamps had corroded - could have re-used but whats the point when plastic buckets are so cheap.
I then decided to try one of the Libres that I had that was fitted with an old 205/60/13 Firestone - Hmmm - wheel is okay but that's far too much tyre - was not considering a 205 but that pretty much rules out anything over 185 so may opt for a set of 175/70's for a start and put a 185/60 on a spare and see what it looks like.
Whilst the wheel was on I had a look at the arch gaps and the wheel positioning and I think the body is on too far back and needs to move forward an inch or so. That will be a task prior to sorting the wiring out. It does throw up an issue though, and that is the offside rear wheelarch is not the same shape as the nearside and moving the body will centre three wheels in respective wheel arches but not that one and the arch will need to be reprofiled - oh well so be it. Moving the body will also mean that the roll hoop will need to be shifted and modified - every cloud and all that.
I have removed a load of excess weight on this car so far - must be at least 15kg lighter and if I count the removal of the spare - its probably getting closer to 40kg. So with all these performance benefits I decided to have a look at those power adders....
First off I improved the power to weight by removing them - already a win.
Then I took a hammer to the POWERBALL
So, plastic ball two screws and some washers ! Okay.... Next
Hacksaw to the POWERPLUS
So, some silver Mentos and two magnets stuck together and fitted into a steel tube - Okay !
Now I did think WTF when I saw the little 3mm hole but actually the fuel flow goes around the outside and there is a slot that allows the fuel to flow in and out - its not actually through that 3mm holes as that gets blocked by the magnets. If memory serves me right the pellets are some tin amalgam and supposed to make improvement to helping a cast head run on unleaded.
So with those bits of wibblepoo out of the way we should be back up and closing on a tarmac ripping 60BHP