I've got it sat in my mums garage, but I didnt want to do it before the wedding and a problem occur, and it not make it, after this it's pretty much game on, well either before the child is born in august/September or after but I doubt I'll have the time then
So it's due an MOT in the 1st July, so hopped in it to book it in for next Wednesday, my next day off. Pull off from a junction and theres an almighty bang, followed by a huge vibration, cars still driving. Pulled over, couldn't see anything wrong, took it back home, turns out my gearbox mount has completely collapsed. Rang around trying to find one, Euro told me it was a classic and they didnt stock it, CES told me there was no such mount, found one in the end in a small car parts shop, guy knew what it was straight off and ordered it in for Monday. Cool, still on for an MoT. Went to see my guy...packing up his tools and leaving on his 3 week holidays tonight so no Astra for a few weeks. Actually disappointed I cant drive my slow as curse word 1.4 now
To be fair last time it happened it was the diff escaping through the cover plate, it's been on the to do list for a month or so as accelerating away the gearstick came back then shot forward when letting off. So my own fault. 2 major failures and only one of them resulting in it being recovered home in 10 years I'm not going to complain
So recently stuck a thread up about engine mounts, was driving home one day (I'd been experiencing the gear stick moving under all of the 40bhp or so so "knew" they were going) when something went, engine dropped onto the sub frame. I got home, mount look tired, order new mounts. Today I went to fit them. Closer inspection reveals mounts to be fine. What wasnt fine was all 3 bolts missing from the mount that bolts to the engine from the os wing. Kicking myself for not spotting that but had in my head the mounts were toast. Went to an engineering shop and picked out the right bolts (88p for 4) and hey presto it's fine. I've bolted them back up for now as this means it's now driveable to go the garage for an MOT, and he can do the mounts there now I have them, they may as well go on as they were special order and non returnable in any case. I've also gone round every single bolt I could get a ratchet or spanner into, incase more have been missed as I'm assuming these weren't fully nipped up when my gearbox got done. It's now working again though so I'm happy. I've stuck the standard merit silencer on (it failed last year on noise) and noticed my 2 rear tyres are low so I'll stick the GSi alloys on until I can get a couple of tyres.
GSi wheels back on, need to get a new clamp so hornet backbox back on for now, will whip the standard one back on for the MOT. Used insulation tape to repair a couple of splits in the intake pipe, had a high idle for ages but only spotted it when I removed it to do the mount.
Looks absolutely spot on with the fan blades (step downs?) now!
Yeah, the orange indicators have made a big comeback of late! When i bought my 8v mk2 back it had random clear side repeaters on it, and putting the small bumpers back on has left it with one orange and one black indicator.
Pains me as I want it to looks as it came, but I am close to installing full orange again!
Took it out last night for a run with the Mrs, she wanted a scenic route so I basically followed my delivery route from Beddgelert, through to Penygroes and over to Llamberis through Rhosgadfan. So much quicker without having to stop 105 times to deliver parcels :lol:
Got a couple of pics, in front of the Nantlle Ridge (Snowdon is at the very back)
And at Rhosgadfan looking down over Caernarfon, can see the castle if you look hard enough
It runs out of Mot tomoro so been driving it lately as my MOT man is on holiday for a few weeks, me and my brother went up to get my Vectra ready for scrap so got a couple of pics with his S14 as well.
Went in for MOT today, failed. My drivers seat has weirdly collapsed on one side, cant see where it is gone but ran to the scrappy to get a replacement, getting rare now, 5 yards, one 3 door, one passenger seat. So mounted that in, hopefully temporary.
Number plate lights, dodgy LEDs so just put normal bulbs in. Then the elephant in the room, inner arches, both sides. Handbrake needs adjusting as well, but just the welding left to sort so left it at the garage, I'll pick it up next week. Normal Astra spot to go apparently.