The grille is now fitted - had to re-do the mounts (same as the headlights) but all looking good Bumper is fitted also, tucked in closer to the body as I'd hoped - had to modify the overriders as they hit the valence when I pulled it in tight:
(why I used the sofa as a workbench I really don't know)
Have some pictures:
Forgot to take a side-on pic to show the bumper lined up better with the arch - will get one next time.
I've still got a bit of welding to do (rear sill end, ARB mounts, ..) but couldn't face another day of it so spent the afternoon sorting out other stuff..
- Wiper motor/mechanism/arms fitted & working - Screen washers fiddled with & now working - headlamp washers blanked off (easier than trying to make them work <<lazy) - All lights, front and rear now working properly - lots of contacts/bulb holders/earths cleaned up, only needed to replace 1 bulb, result!
Most boring video ever:
(that's 17seconds of your life you'll never get back)
Might chuck it in for an MoT this week - give me a finite list of jobs to do next weekend
Excellent work dude! If you ever get bored and decide you want to sell it...
'77 Vauxhall Cavalier coupe 1.9 GLS - the long term project '81 Opel Senator 3.0S '81 Opel Senator 3.0CD '82 Opel Manta SRB coupe '90 Vauxhall Cavalier SRi '93 Vauxhall Senator 24V '93 Lancia Thema 16V Turbo '94 Vauxhall Carlton Diamond
So I used my lunchbreak to pop to a small independent tyre place near work and have the 165/50-15's I bought on eBay bead-blasted on to the wheels..
..and got some TAB-time in that evening to try one on for size:
Clearly in need of about a foot of lowering (& the wheel actually being in the right place in the arch)
ColonElk made an amaze adaptor replicator..
..so we could check the fitment:
Methinks that'll do nicely ;D Hopefully the 165/55's will do equally nicely on the rear.
Elk & I then spent a while trying to get the fekker to run right. On the odd occasion that every comes together it sounds sweet - but most of the time it coughs/splutters/won't rev/cuts out. Initially air leaks were diagnosed, so fitted a new manifold gasket & sealed off a leak from the vacuum takeoff for the servo/autobox. This improved things somewhat but enabled us to hear the vac advance rattling away randomly inside the dizzy cap - swopped the dizzy out (it turned out to have a really stiff section in its rotation) and now it fires up & sounds perfect, but when you let go of the key it cuts out immediately! Bah! Adding this to a stupid VerijetII carburettor is enough to wind me right up. And it was cold. So we went to the pub.
Today we fiddled with the engine a lot. The running only when the starter was engaged was because the original points dizzy setup had a different ignition live to the coil (or something) so we ran a new one & it now runs fine