Went round to my mates and ceramic coated my lips and barrels before I assemble the wheels. I’m not sure how long to let the fresh paint has for but I’ll leave it another week and get them coated too before I bolt them together (it’ll have been 3 weeks 🤷🏻♂️).
Productive day today, was a choice between rebuilding the wheels and cavity wax/waxing the underside of the car so I chose the former.
Moment of annoyance where my painter had painted the mating edge of all the wheels and they’re that much of a tolerance fit I had to carefully brass wheel and sand it all off but past that point they were a breeze to draw the faces in and torque up.
That's gonna look incredible. I followed a proper ropey 300ZX today, didn't think there were any in that bad condition left.
Thank you mate, fingers crossed! If I'm completely honest most of them I’ve seen are ropey as you like. I think unfortunately because they were disposable for a long while and prone to rust in the UK they just got left and now most are recommissioned curse word ones.
Decided to spend a bit of time under the car seen as I’ve had this parcel for a couple of weeks now.
Bought some dynax S50 and UC to use under the car for a bit of extra protection this winter. I’ve used bilt hamber stuff a lot before and it always seems curse word hot to me.
Gave the car one last degrease underneath with some surfex HD and then got cracking. Sprayed all the cavities first. The lance you get with this is brilliant, it does seem thin but I suppose that’s to get into every nook and crannie and all you need is a thin coating of the rails etc.
The only bits I didn’t manage to do were the sills because I ran out but I can do those with the kick plates off and the car on the ground once I’ve ordered some more.
Next I got the UC out and sprayed the underside.
As the irish would say, pockets are mint lad
The black patches are the two part epoxy paint I brushed over the electrox for any bits of very minor surface rust/or scuffs from being low. As used cars go I’d day it’s pretty split mint and very usable underneath now.
Definitely worth the extra piece of mind I think.
Last Edit: Sept 14, 2022 21:45:24 GMT by louishavo
Decided to crack on with a few more bits and bobs jobs.
There have been a couple of bits I’d wanted to stick some rust converter on and touch up for a little bit now before they get any worse.
Under the windscreen scuttle was one of them that’s been bugging me, it’s a bit of a 300zx hotspot because it’s pretty flat and water can collect there.
I could see there was a bit of what looked like orange in there and this is what It was like when I took the scuttle off.
Got it all cleaned up with some mild gyeon degreaser for paint and cracked on.
Got the hydrate 80 out and stuck a layer on. Doesn’t look half as bad when the orange has gone.
Stuck a thin layer of electrox over it and then some 2K epoxy mastic by bilt hamber too. Can’t fault any of their products thus far. Here’s how it looks touched up. As much as it annoys me being messy things like this don’t warrant me taking the full car apart when they’re never seen.
With the scuttle all cleaned, I cleaned the cover and stuck that back on too.
While I was waiting for the paint to dry I tackled the inside of the sills with the dynax s50 I ordered after I ran out last time.
It’s safe to say there’s plenty in there so should give it a helping hand to staying nice.
Also as a test I sprayed some into the side of the bin to see how it clung and stayed put once it was dry. Pretty impressive stuff when I went back to it today.
I only managed to break one of the sill clips that hold the cover on, they’re notorious for breaking and by this point are all pretty brittle so will order a few replacements if I can tomorrow.
Car goes in for the rear arches rolling next week so I’m pretty excited for that.
Last Edit: Sept 19, 2022 21:39:20 GMT by louishavo
I also completely forgot to stick the few pics I took up from retro rides gathering.
I only took a couple pictures at the campsite but it was an absolutely banging weekend with chilled vibes and lots of top quality motors to look at and watch go round the track. I camped with a couple mates with their e36, skyline and soarer.
One of the zx looking super frosty Saturday morning too. (It was absolutely Baltic In our tent 😂)
Came to the car a few weeks back and noticed a bit of trim was missing off the front fog light.
After searching on the internet the J spec ones are specific to these models as they have the sidelight in the fog light unit too. They’re also like £250 new 🤢.
After I whipped one of mine off and realized you could take them apart. I bought a set of American ones with the idea of just using the lenses and swapping the guts out of mine. Waited a month and they were here.
My old ones were looking pretty grotty next to the new lenses anyway so should freshen the front end up a little anyway.
You can see the small difference in reflector here, the sidelight bulb hole is missing on the American one and it also has a cap over the fog light bulb which the J spec ones doesn’t.
Got them all swapped over and ready to fit.
As the covers are only clipped in (that’s why they’re notorious for going brittle and bits falling off) I mixed up some 2 part epoxy and filled the clip holes to make them a little more secure.