After the alignment session it was time for a sandwich and then back to it.
Front engine mount came out and I fitted a stiffening set. No pics here but we did in on the rear last time around so refer back to that.
At this point a couple of other mates showed up so we started on the clam. It's fiddly bar steward of a job and hats off to those who have done this as a solo job. It's an absolute ball breaker. When we got it into position and the loom fed into the boot we all handled different aspects of the reassembly. Two went on interior and two on either side of the clam (namely the inner arches) to expedite proceedings.
About 17:30 I put the plates back on and we went for a test run. It's a marked improvement. Much more torque low down, keener to rev, faster to rev, higher red line. Feels a big step forward in terms of get up and go. This was on the ECU base map so there is more to come from this.
The geo changes are also great. I finally feel it turns in as well as it can and how I want it to. All in all, chuffed.
Had a few errands to run this morning. Covered around 30km but easy driving. Still behaving faultlessly. I should put on a total of 300km this week and I'll call it a success at that stage if all is still going well.
As an aside, one of the errands I ran was to do something I've never done before and that was to sign the order contract on a brand new car. I never thought I'd do it as I always saw the value in used vehicles but the current market, coupled with the fact that I have my own business for the past couple of years and the car can be useful for credit ratings and other accountancy things means it actually made sense.
I don't think this is getting the love it deserves from the forum as a whole.
What a great little car and great ongoing project. Loving the updates.
Very jealous of the 3 garages...!
Thanks very much, I think we are less visible here in the side hall in any case. Post 2000 is a bit "fresh" for some people. Maybe I should just roll it into on of my other build threads
I have a set of folders on my computer and this set was Modifications 3. I think we are at the end of this phase now so it's time to start a new folder and subsequent line of work, wrap time. Going green again soon.
In other news, the Red Starlet is going for MFK (MOT) this Friday. Fingers crossed.