Following on from the success of the national day i left the car over the pit so i could continue finishing things off underneath.
First off was the coolant leaks.
There was a couple coming from old hoses. I put it down to the old hoses being deformed from the old clamps and not sealing up with the new t-bolt jobbies.
I had some new silicone hoses which cut up and replaced the old rubber ones.
I need to build a tube beader but in the mean time i just welded a quick bead round the end to stop the hose from working its way off.
Onto the handbrake i blasted and coated the pivot adjuster mech.
New cables fitted and we now have a functional handbrake.
I bled the brakes out again and managed to get some more air out.
Fitted the new rear drop links and adjusted to suit the current ride height.
Break out the steel ruler and some string, its alignment time.
All wheels were a mile out but i got it pretty close and with a small amount of toe in all round.
The only adjustment you can make is tracking all round anyway. The rear castor can change but has been set previously and shouldnt have changed enough to matter for now.
I am thinking later i might swap out to camber bolts to give myself a bit more clearance at the top of the wheels as they are quite close to the arches.
New gear knob out of its packaging so i could take it for a quick drive.
Up and down the “private road” a couple of times let me get a feel for it at a bit of speed and make sure the engine gets up to temp and stays there ect
It drove great, nice and straight, even on low revs the engine just pulls straight from idle.
Damn I had forgotten just how good this feels to drive.
With some finishing jobs still to do shes now tucked up back into my workshop
Something that should have been connected earlier is the boot light.
It makes working in there alot easier.
I got the loom extension made up for the cruise ecu.
And the ecu tucked up into the corner below the hinge spring
Some extra bits of wiring to finish and tidy up under the dash which is now done.
I liked the media controls on the steering wheel so i'm keeping them, but this time i spent some time figuring out the values required to communicate directly with the pioneer radio rather than having a middle man control unit like last time.
The new resistor ladder made and connected up to the switches.
Its probably temporary as i would like to have more controls and after trial and error i found that some additional values which will let me have more functionality. I just don't have enough buttons at the moment to utilise them for now. Will have to watch this space.
The cruise control stalk wiring also got connected up and despite the look of a rats nest the wheel is now ready to plug in and go.
In an attempt to continue with tidying up the dashboard of wires i need to add a usb port for phone charging. There is currently the ones in the cig lighter port but they are on the wrong side of the steering wheel so i have to run a cable across the column to my phone holder.
A quick bracket printed to hold the usb port.
A hole cut in the dash and the port epoxied onto the back.
The port connects to the wiring and 5v supply i fitted while the dash was out, oh so long ago.