Originally put this in general by accident so moving here!
Bought a new project as the Herald is up and running, plan was to find something more modern with a turbo, or buy something and turbo it. Spent ages looking at newer civics but couldn't get excited. Then found the coupe on Ebay and that was it.
A silver one came up and I bid but it didn't hit the reserve and wasn't sold, the owner (nice chap) contacted me with an offer, we went back and forth a bit and did a deal.
Bought it unseen and got it trucked down to me.
Was a bargain considering it has an mot, no such thing as a cheap Italian turbo car tho...
It's a s**tbox, but will be a fun car to work on and learn how this turbo stuff all works.
- 150k miles, hard track-day miles (there is some exhaust damage from when he came off the track)
- Uprated turbo apparently. Except it isn't uprated, looks like its running the original still
- Whatever the turbo is, it's blown. Blue smoke puffing away (I knew that when I got it)
- ABS light on
- Door card falling off
- No stereo
- Passenger door central locking does whatever it wants (except lock)
- Rusty arches
- Lacquer peel on roof and bonnet
- Nightmarish tinted rear lights
- Lots of spares and a spare set of original wheels refurbed in gun metal grey and good tyres
- Pretty much no history apart from the last owner
- No idea when cam belt was done
- Dump valve (basically why I bought it)
- Floor had welding for mot in Feb. Lots of welding. Good news (cos it's done already)
- Engine sits at perfect oil pressure despite the miles
- Questionable rocker cover paint in red (to make it look like the later limited models)
- Other bits of cosmetic crust underneath but basically solid
- Door paint on one side doesn't quite match. Also covered in drinks, and a weird ripple in the roof
- Stainless Steel exhaust system and new cat. Dented due to track day (with exhaust leak)
- Actually a decent interior
Only driven it once, got scared the turbo would blow and trash the engine.
But wow its fast, like modern fast. Nothing happens till 3k rpm then off you go all the way to 7k, its as fast as I'd ever need where I live (lots of traffic). The 5 cylinder sounds meaty and rally car, already I love it so much.
Bought a turbo off a coupe breaking on ebay for not much.
Then drive it straight to a specialist to get the cam belt and water pump done (not as expensive as the internet tells me, it can actually be done without removing the engine).
Then boost gauge (got a nice looking Stack jobbie), GTEC chip (coupe forum rates them, super cheap and bumps up boost to 1.2 bar and more fuel. Simple to install I think).
A deep clean (the gear knob was the most disgusting I ever saw) and new knob, new bonnet struts, stereo.
Will get arches done, then decide if I sort dinks and wrap it (the original silver), or get it painted, or just leave the rest as it is.
It'll never be a mint car, it's had to hard a life, but I'll make it look a bit cleaner and drive it hard without worrying about value etc and fix as I go.