While i am stuck at home i might as well put this garage up extension on here for users to take a look at, This was started in late 2017 and dragged on a fair bit, 1st things was taking out an old wall and putting a temporary fence up so the neighbour didn't have to see all the on going work.
After doing a bit of digging i found the corner had very little under it so in went a big hole and a cubic metre of concrete.
Set out for the new extension and cutting out of the old drive was next followed by digging out and footings then some big Lego started to get back to ground level.
Between other jobs when the weather was good i did the block work a bit at a time and the days were getting longer which helped.
Using string a big square and a 6 meter length of heavy gauge unistrut we worked out the original garage was a fair bit out of square and made the new front square to make it look ok by eye. Local place had recycled beams ready and waiting so we grabbed two and painted them with red oxide to look posh.
The slots were left in ready for the timber joists to make it easier for fixing and it seemed quicker
The same local yard had a length of 125mm box section to use as a mainly decorative jib
Again i went for a coat of red oxide and used an off cut of the 125mm box section as a packer to make the jib sit level.
Bookmarked! Why did youmake the new door narrower than the old one?
The old doors were never any use for normal cars and only things like my moggy traveller went in safely, The new doors in the centre are wider that the old doors and it allows me to drive pretty much anything apart from my medium height VW LT35 van in and they new doors are taller which has already proved useful.
The roof was covered in T & G 18mm OSB sheet which is in handy 2' x 8' sheets so easy to handle and not much loss, Then to protect it a layer of fibre glass.
These were made by my mates dad at his works so they could go straight to the galvanisers
More digging out and getting ready for concrete to secure the posts and add a footing for the boundary wall and fence and i allowed holes in the posts to put ducting in as there will be cameras and electrics in the posts later on.
The local concrete guys arrived bang on time and 30 minutes later all done and after final checks to make sure the posts were inline and upright feet up and food time.
The small block wall between garage and the post went in and as it was higher than the neighbours old wall i did some work to raise their wall as it would have looked odd if i left it.
and in goes the a skin of bricks against the blocks to the level of the blocks then another double course on top finished with headers, all the bricks i used in this were reclaimed from the original wall which were an imperial size and looked rustic.
First bit of the cladding frame work is going in here and ready for the insulation
Sadly as we were doing this work we were told that out good friend and neighbour was very ill and wanted to come home to pass away so we decided to make the neighbouring border finished so he didn't come home to a building site.
The cladding went on over a breathable fabric and under that is kingspan type insulation the fake windows were meant to be just a light up effect but more about that later. The fence panels were made by making a frame then fixing planks on the back and then filling with cladding, They weigh a fair bit but they don't flex much which is good for a panel 8' x 5'.
The lights got fitted behind the fake windows by using some led lights from Ebay, not that expensive for the effect we got.
insulation and vapour sheet going on the front
We used 8" x 2" for the door frame as we knew the doors would be heavy
cladding going on
And all done
Inside the block work got coated with a water proofing slurry just incase..
As the hinges needed to be strong i cut out 6 slots for the hinges
The metal plates were bent out in 6mm and the hinges from Brundles tacked into places
After lots of testing the doors were welded permanently to the hinges
The plan was for the doors to open right back against the building which worked out just right
and finally some cladding went on the doors, the close up of the hinge shows the pin sticking out that goes into the hinge to stop anyone pulling the hinge pins out and opening the doors, The windows were made from polycarbonate rescued from bus shelters and some ally strip riveted on.
Just a few of my shelving which i made from Unistrut type stuff, Heavy duty 20x40 slotted channel raw bolted to the wall with cant arms sticking out, The shelves are 2' x 8' water resistant chipboard and some light duty 20mm x 40mm Unistrut at the front and back edge to stop sagging.
Time to paint the cladding which has dried out nicely, I did a rough sand with a quarter sheet sander and then primed it. To save time i thinned down the primer and used a HVLP spray gun to fire it under the cladding and then brushed it flat, Top coat should be going on tomorrow to match the fence in a two tone finish.
I caulked up the joints with upol tiger seal to slow down water getting at the wood, The HVLP spray gun came in useful for getting paint into hard to reach areas, Nothing clever just angled it into the joins and let the air force it into places the brush takes ages to do then spread the paint out with a brush, I am happy with the result just need to put the window panels back in and i am done for now.
I've seen this somewhere before, but had not seen the end result - looks great.
It is on migwelding forums as well, i posted it here as i have spare time right now and it might be interesting to some member who are thinking of doing a build or extension, I am not a builder but i have been around building work from a young age and i don't mind hard work and getting dirty, its all good fun.