I thinned the paint thinking it would fill the little holes in the concrete, (it didn't)this stuff has a 3-hour pot life so no pics till its done. Step 2c Started with cutting in by the time id got round the first coat had almost dried, so I gave it another coat. Then got stuck in I didn't use a paint tray and just poured the paint on the floor.
Very happy with that. Just have got to wait till tomorrow morning to put the top coat on.
Can I suggest you invest in one of these Draft Excluder to go under the main door as we used to have a terrible draft under our sliding horizontal door which used to let dust and small leaves in under the door when shut so I got this product and the garage has been draft free well worth it.
Much progress has been made this week, the floor looked pretty good and seemed to cure well. I left it till Wednesday before walking on it. Picked up my order from Xsen electrical and another from tool station, and started the first fix.
First job was to put up the 600×600 led panel lights that had been in storage since November, I'd been puzzling over how to fit them, but as usual an obvious solution presented its self. A cateener with a few links of chain to drop to the light.
Friday morning came and finally the big moment was there, the one I had been waiting for, yes you have guessed it. Moving in the work bench unfortunately some prize prick had filled it full of all the crap that was in the way in the old workshop so it took over some time before this happened.
I of course made a last minute decision to move the welding bench from the far left of the bench to the far right (due to grinder wizz usually going to the right) I then had to move the doors and shelves the opposite way, and managed to put the doors on it in the wrong order, despite laying them out so the pattern flowed along the doors (not that anyone else but me will notice).
Oops, I forgot to update, my excuse is, I got called back to work, for one day and was told to take the rest of the week off on holiday..... So all the kit for the electrics were ordered all 800 quid of it, I got the 1st fix done, which was 9 metal clad double sockets, 22M of 20mm conduit, 12M of trunking, 13 lighting points over 5 switches, 1 16a blue commando socket, 2 fused spurs, an emergency light over the door and a mains board, which all went really well till I got to this bit
The last bit of cable to run to complete the ring and I've use up the entire 50m roll..... lucky for me a mate gave me the tag end of a roll with about 10m left on it, I only had a meter left on the lighting cable roll when that was finished.
Then I went back to work and progress slowed right down.
I had been thinking about fitting an alarm for some time but I wanted to have one alarm to cover both workshops, that meant I needed; a bell box, 2 keypads, a combined microwave and PIR detector, 2 door contacts and a roller door contact all of which was going to come to 250 quid wholesale.
I was looking at eBay trying to beat the wholesalers price when I came across a used Honeywell G4 alarm the exact spec I was looking for with 2 keypads, bell box and some PIR detectors, for £80 delivered buy it now or offers, I checked and found the listing was over 2 weeks old I made an offer and got it for £60 delivered, turned out one of the PIRs was a microwave/PIR detector. All I needed was a battery £10, 2x door contacts £4, roller door contact and a connection box £14. I had half a reel of cable in stock but ran out and finished it off with phone cable.
Then the real fun, the main feed from the house originally I had a 4mm armoured cable in to run the old workshop, but the lights used to dim when the welder or compressor started, and seeing as there's no kill like over kill it's got a 16mm armoured, which we pulled in to the house after pulling out the old cable, and made off in to the new board 63a RCD and a 50a breaker 16mm SWA is rated at about double that so there's plenty of head room.
When I rewired the house 15years ago, I left the old Wylex rewireable fuse board in running the shower as the bathroom was getting ripped out shortly afterwards and it would be redundant so it seemed pointless to wire it in, so I have a spare board feed.
But when we pulled the cable in to the workshop the bloody thing was 5m to short, so I had top buy another length of cable and an underground potted joint box. But before I could get that in my back went and I'm now on light duties.
I bought a Brother labelling machine for £24 from tool station and a pile of compatible cartridges from eBay (£3 v £13 each), so I can label up my boxes and bins, which has given me something to do.
At the moment I've got no power but it looks like this.
Nearly there, more shelves, the grinder scarecrow which I think will go where the pillar drill is (not sure where that's going to move to though) and the mobile bench in the corner, to deal with. Oh! and the mains board and armoured. Dan
Wow! I completely forgot about this thread, yes lights are on, its a bit short for modern cars, if I park my CRV with the spare wheel carrier against the roller door, I have to take the handle off the trolly jack to get it off the floor, width is perfect though, I can just open both doors fully, work bench to wall. Might have to build an extension and add a half meter on to the front.
Its had a couple of vans in for services(with the door open), right now its a mess as there's a V8 and an auto box spread out over the floor.
Its a great place to work, I am very happy with it. Dan