Waiting for the floor to dry i have been busy but not on the garage. Once the first half was dried i moved everything forwards.
Sprayed down the sealer and left it to dry.
While that was going my screwfix order was placed and some bits arrived.
proper bolts and some draught strips.
the bolts are similar size to what i already had on but the new ones are square. I left my square drill bit elsewhere and due to lockdown wasnt aloud out to go and get it.
What i did instead was drill oversized at 25mm and found a bit of square tube.
welded to the supplied capping plates
and fitted in the floor
bolts fit nicely
do it a couple more times and everything is fastened down.
That night i got the first coat on the next bit of floor
and the next morning it got another. I also got the weather strips fitted
Went to make sure someone hadnt turned his toes up but no he was just enjoying the sun.
A day or so later and the floor is still tacky in places so going to have to leave it a bit longer. One thing i have been meaning to do is the doors. They are looking a bit scabby
however the only suitable paint i found on the back of the shelf is this
cant work out what it was originally bought for but its pretty much full and probably around 20 years old since we arnt supposed to leave for paint it will have to do. If you thought the floor bold prepare yourself. . . ready? . .
What else have i been doing do i hear you ask? Well there is a story to that and all told it is quite a headscratching, sleep depriving story thats going to take a bit of telling.
Interestingly enough on one of my roadtrips a few years ago i also found norwegians follow a similar scheme to the Americans of red barns with white accents although usually with considerably better views.
i however will just be leaving the doors red, no white.
Another couple of bits done in the workshop. One of the things i wanted to sort out was the heater power source. It was currently running off a old car battery which is fine as a temporary measure but having to keep putting it on charge etc wasn’t the best solution.
Solution is one of these
an old computer PSU I have a few of them floating around for times like this, they are a very useful 12v, 5v, 3v supply with built in thermal protection and usually good for a fair few amps.
Open it up and cut a hole in it for a switch and also remove some of the excess wires that i don't need. fasten a 15A choc block to the face as terminals and your just about done.
screw it to the wall and run the wires.
It works as expected. The only issue with it now is it could use a small battery on it just in case i loose power so it can run its shutdown sequence.
Something i have been after for a bit is a set of old heavy duty drawers but they are usually out of my price range. A few days ago a set came up that was in my price range and close enough too. So while maintaining social distancing i took the van and collected them.
They are great, just what i had been after. they weigh a ton so i expect they have probably been around longer than me and they will with any luck still be going after me. I stripped them down for a bit of a clean and moved into the space next to the pillar drill. I originally was going to repaint but they arnt in bad condition so decided to leave the patina.
And cut out some new face cards, not enough for all of them but its a start
I got a couple of dividers with them but certainly not enough so i set about and made some more.
even the dividers are 1.5mm sheet. i ran a sheet through the bandsaw and got a stack out the other side
Since i want to be able to use these for fastener storage i decided some improvements could be made and cut some 1mm dividers to go vertically and cut some slots in the horizontal ones.
Bit disappointed in my bandsaw blade. Its been on a few months but not long after it went on teeth started disappearing.
I have given it a bit of hammer but only with mild steel so i expected better from a starrett