Something I’m sure we can all relate to!
It starts with these.
Well really it doesn’t, it starts with a used but unused intercooler I bought off FB marketplace for 20 quid. I had trouble finding something a size and shape that would fit in front of the rad and let me get hoses to it. But I didn’t take a specific picture of it.
I’d hung it in place with some zip ties off the rad frame brace, and was eyeballing the hardlines I’d have to make. But eyeballing doesn’t get em done, so I started chopping some bits up and tacking them together.
Looks pretty trick. Offered into place to see if it’ll actually work-
It’ll work, just!
But, whilst offering everything up and messing about checking bits would fit, I decided I wasn’t happy with the fit of the bonnet. If it was shut all the way down, it was too low at the nose, messing up the line that runs from the bonnet through to the cab. Now I knew this, I needed to sort it.
This involved chopping up the front end bracketry, moving up the rad frame bit that the front wings bolt to to move the entire wings and grille up to correct the lines. An inch was enough.
Once I’d done that I added some fancier bracing and boxing in to finish it off a bit.
You’ll also notice there that I’ve sliced an inch out of the bumper drop brackets too, to move the bumper up as well.
It was then refitted, I checked I was happy with the fit, then it was removed again so I could go about doing the next bit, that still wasn’t the intercooler pipes, but mounting the intercooler.
First I made some simple brackets to step the intercooler put away from the rad, firstly to fit the fan in for the rad, and secondly so the intercooler inlet/outlet pipes clear the bumper brace bar.
With that in position, I could do a fancy lower bracket.
Just love the bracket detail Dez
Those little touches.