Snook another couple hours tonight, were down to less than a month until due date of second kid now so sneaking any time I can in knowing it ls going to have to go on hold when she gets here..
As I said earlier the space the alternator used to live in is now very much full of exhaust.. I had aquired a little denso unit years ago that I thought may come in handy for a project. Guess this is the project..
Managed to reuse one of the mounting holes that used to be used for the a/c pump (a/c is for the weak ) with a bit of choppery... Didn't have a m10x1.25 stud long enough to mount it for mock up (and I'm impatient) so welded 2 together (using a antique stick welder with no mask as the decent welder was at work, I can strongly recommend not doing this )
Got bottom bolt sat were I wanted and nipped down. Then broke out the cad department (cardboard aided design)... Settled on using the mounting bolts that used to be used to mount the dizzy cap (I'm going coil on plug)..
Bit of fettling and ended up with something I'm fairly happy with.. I'm also pleased with the alignment of the pulleys will just need to get a custom pulley made for the alternator to run a ribbed belt.
I also found the original bracket that came with the alternator and by some kind of fluke it sort of ligns up.. I think I'm going to use some plate to utilize the 2 mounting holes and weld half of the original bracket to to use the slotted area for adjustment.
Will update later, will knock the bracket up at work on my dinner break and see what we're working with..
I'm also going to have to put the engine back in the car to figure out where exactly this huge external gate is going to live. I was hoping I didn't have to put it in again til it was finished.. looks like I was wrong..
Just need some longer bolts now and we're sorted. And then decided whether to use the bracket I've made and drill several mount holes for adjustment... Or weld the slotted section of the original bracket to this and use that for adjustment..
Not looking on eBay at all, ahem, honest! but which years are the strong rod vvti’s from? Looking forward to seeing how you get it all working...
There aren't any strong rod vvtis... The pre 94 engines are strongest like mine Some 95 had strong rods some had skinny. All the vvtis had skinny rods. If your staying n/a then the vvti is the way to go.. unless you fancy forking out on forged rods..
So managed to sneak a few hours in last night. Decided the engine needed to go in for "one last" test fit to make sure: my turbo was going to fit with my manifold, the alternator was going to fit it's new location and the link pipe was going to clear the arb..
There was no way I was doing it on my own it's a fair old lump to manage on your own made worse by my antique engine crane and the rippled concrete on my drive.. my mate popped round to lend a hand (he's just bought a ls400 and within a week started gathering bits to supercharge it, I'm beginning to think I'm a bad influence ). Less than half an hour from the garage door going up, to stepping back and saying "yep, that will work"...
Had a slight technical hitch. The turbo wouldn't clear the front panel. I didn't think it would but nicked the end off with the hacksaw and the job was jobbed! I'd already planned on losing the standard front panel/bonnet catch mount and making my own so this wasnt a big issue
Not sure what happened there.. but here's the clearance or rather lack of it
Few more pics just to show the general layout and how it's going to look..
As you can see I've zero room to run a 4 inch downpipe out and toward back of car. So I'm still unsure how I'm going to remedy that (straight up through bonnet has been discussed)
Wastegate hasnt turned up so that's on hold til early next week. Still can finish alternator bracket. Start to fab pipes for the collector on the wastegate. Also made a fairly big decision in regards to wiring. Although that can stay a secret til a bit nearer time.
Hopefully that's last "mock" fitting of the engine. Next time it goes in should be for good (although how much more I'm going to get done with the imminent arrival of my second child who knows)..
Could you split the exhaust into two smaller ones making it easier to squeeze past everything ?
That's a possibility.. rather than trying to run 1 4 inch pipe it may be easier to run 2 2.5/2.25 inch pipes.. think it's going to be a case of suck it and see once the engine is back in for good and go from there.
For the same flow area as a single 4" pipe you'll need 2 pipes of 27/8"...
Yeah my maths aren't great but I realised after I posted 2 2 inch pipes don't add up to 4 inch. So I'd end up running twin 3 inch pipes so not a great deal of help.
I have seen in the states oval tube. But it's expensive.. however if I only need a little short section to go under subframe it might be an option. Especially considering I've come this far with it now (if I'd have been staying standard management and sticking a chongy chingy turbo on I'd have stuck it through bonnet and dealt with the consequences..
If that denso alt is a 40a unit with the std pulley it’ll struggle to make more than 12v at idle , I have a twin turbo uz in my car and swapped the single pulley for a smaller 5 rib to run off the crank but ended up getting an uprayed 65a version from brise to keep up with demands