Just think of how fast you'll be able to do it next time
About the same speed because any parts still have to be sourced from a thousand miles away...
I do, however, have a much better understanding of the internal architecture (even the bits hidden from view when you start to put it together) and have seen that the mistake I made with the spacer washer is universal because one of the washers I ordered was pre-loved but was bent with the characteristic crescent shape of "I fell out of my slot and got crimped", and that one gave me 25 thou' of lash... At least one of the washers was flat and exact to give me a correct datum.
Each headlight trim has one of these, from the factory. Unfortunately one was missing on the driver's side so the previous owner decided to hold the thing on with Sikaflex.
I took some baling wire and bent it to shape to match. Unfortunately baling wire has the same consistency as plasticine, which is not optimal for this.
Heat treatment time! Took my gas torch and heated the wire up to orange hot, then quenched it in water, repeated to not quite so hot then again to cherry red and let it cool slowly in the upper edges of the flame to anneal.
Fits in and is quite tough now.
Slots into the hole in the top of the light frame.
Bottom is held in with a screw.
Better. Much less likely to fall off now, and saved buying one from the store.
Impressive work on the heat treatment, produce own bits and pieces bit.I would never have thought about heat treating and annealing wire to make these small items. Really enjoying reading this thread. The gearbox saga is epic.
Nice job on the wire clip. If it doesnt stay tough enough, you could make one from piano wire. Vw beetle have similar too, don't know if they would fit. Sounds like you could buy the right ones if you wanted anyway, but made one because you could. don't blame you 🙂.