This build feeds all of my requirements for an Epic Build Thread. Thank you for posting it here. I shall be along for the duration.
If I may, a couple of questions about your fabrication methods:
What are you using to slice up your steel? The inside corners do not have a hint of overcut, and the lines are razor straight. Either you are very good with the cut-off wheel or are using alternate methods?
I note that you "fence" your plate fabricated brackets for extra strength. That is a nice touch that I use on occasion. Takes forever if I am doing it and somehow not as neat as your efforts. Do you have some shortcuts or are you just welding thin strips to the edge of the brackets like everyone else and cleaning up with a grinder? I noticed it right away on the plates that form the differential mounts and at first I thought it was milled plates. I would expect a lot of deformation of the plates if just welded to the edge of such a large flat surface; should have created a bowl as it shrunk the perimeter?
Mig, TIG or both?
The weld on the angle bracket with the rubber busing looks like MIG, but the one on the metal bungs look like TIG. If they are mixed, what is your criteria for one process over the other?
Thanks for the continued interest. To answer a few questions. Hadnt thought of road registering, possible I suppose but not really needed for what it will be used for. Hopefully will run on the standard brain also the gearbox so it will keep the tiptronic. We will see. Complete on the road a8 was £400, the more powerfull s8 engine was 500. All cut with a grinder with a thin disc, or hole saw for circles where possible. Fencing or edging does warp larger plates a bit, lay them on something and bash it untill straight. The box section of the subframe was actually worse, had to squash it a bit with a JCB to cure it. All the welding is done with a stick welder which is about 35 years old. You can sort of make it out in the middle of the snow pic. Maker was Mammoth, think it might go up to 140 amp, but the numbers have worn off.
The 4WD A8 boxes (all auto, near as makes no odds and including two diffs) are huge and weigh 160kg all by themselves. They also have a talent for self dismantling.....
The S8 engine with 01E manual box, mid-mounted, would indeed be a monster...... Some expensive bits needed to fit the 01E box to the V8 though.
1967 Triumph Vitesse convertible (long term pet) 1999 Audi A8 2.8 2WD FL Winter banger 1996 Audi A6 2.5 TDI Avant (still durability testing) 1972 GT6 Mk3 (Restored & learning to be a car again reluctantly!)
Not a great lot of progress this weekend. Bit more measuring and planning, which was worthwhile I think. Looks like I can weld in the subframe, then fit the original axle to it so I can still drive the car about. Managed to get a little bit more floor out.
I totally overlooked this thread originally The A3 bit didn't interest me but then I see the MID ENGINE bit and thought I'd have a look
I must say the work to date is nice and il definitely be following the build from now on
1992 240 Volvo T8 1955 Cadillac 1994 BMW E34 M5 (now sold ) 1999 BMW E36 sport touring 1993 Volvo 940 TT8 (work in progress) 1971 VW bay window (work in progress) 1999 Mazda 323F 1987 Jaguar XJ12 All current
Well done on tackling this - I did a similar project with a V6 in the middle of an Alfa Romeo Sprint (Ref Sprint 6C). The mechanicals were the easy part, it was the electrics that took a lot of sorting out - and cooling, despite a large front mounted radiator.
Love the Alfa build. I once put a 2.0 twin cam and transaxle in a Fiesta, was never finished though. Probably still have an engine somewhere. Did you ever sort the cooling problem? I have a rear radiator mounted high up in the Tomcat, never had a problem. My plan with the electrics is to plug in the original wires, start up and drive off into the sunset. That is the plan......
Thanks - the cooling problem was actually a series of problems ranging from airlock in the block - added extra expansion tank in the engine bay, split rubber hose underneath - replaced, increasing leak in radiator from hidden corner - recored radiator fitted, front expansion tank with hidden crack which leaked under pressure - replaced tank. The electrics were easy to get the engine started, it was getting instruments working that took time as I tried to use the donor V6 engine/car panel initially, but it was too complex and I reverted to the original Sprint panel.
Hope to get pics in right order. Cut holes in insede of cill to take a 50 x 50 box, poke it in , end up with the first bit of the build I can actually measure from. Think a 50 spacer then the subframe should end up at the old floor level. Need a bit more looking and thinking on that though.