Very exciting day today. Dropped the engine in and it fits! Well, sort of. Hadn't counted on that alternator being that big. Damn. Looks like a smaller item or relocation kit is needed. I'm sure I've seen one somewhere... But on an even more positive note, the sump isn't interfering with the steering rack as we'd dreaded. In fact, it can go just where we want it, and now all the calcs have been done, and local suspension guru John Freeman has plugged in the numbers to the CAD monster, we're looking at almost ZERO bump steer! Much joy in workshop!!!
So engine fits, headers put on and will need some fettling and the front cross member needs some mods
Step back is the bell housing is for the wrong motor - so we need to get a coyote to t56 bell housing - anyone need a ford modular to t56 bell housing? [a href="|https://thumbsnap.com/pkPHbKaP"]|https://thumbsnap.com/pkPHbKaP[/a]
So fab is in progress and it's coming along nicely. you will note we are using the new 2018 steering rack on the 69 ( thank you ford ) and it really is a blend of old and new with a fair bit of modest ingenuity.
you will of course note we are using an etcha sketch for cad and thats the reason for the drawings on the inner wing
This is one of the things I love best about Hellraiser. It's the level of detail we get into and the stuff I'm learning from everyone involved that I find so exciting.
Badhand's really a total spanner numpty (I am a little bit better) so starting this engineering project was hairbrain to say the least. But where there's a will there's a way and if Nick and I are the will, Mark and Kim are proving to be the way.
So having worked out that, providing we modify the steering arm, we can get everything lined up to for virtually zero bump steer, Mark sets out to create near perfect Ackermanns as well.
If you don't know what that is, and I certainly didn't 'til we started researching all the steering issues, it's all to do with stopping tyres skipping on corners.
The principle is that if you line up your tie rod ends and your ball joints so they project a line to the centre of the rear axle (see diagram 1)
The inside and outside front wheels should trace perfect radii around a certain point (diagram 2).
That means a different angle for each wheel and a steeper (is it?) radius on the inner tyre. More grip and betterer anyway. So making new steering arms gives us the opportunity to move the steering pivot point (see plan view on drawing) the 13mm to the ideal position.
We have been a bit tardy updating this thread, although there has been lots going on with hellraiser. So i am going to update a bit over the next couple of days ending with some top suspension [email protected]
So the big plan for the first half of the year is front and rear suspension done - so we have a roller and then engine in. Getting the engine in put a spanner in the works and a healthy dose of murican irony
Lets start the update - front end has been receiving some love over the early part of the new year.New Radiator Support Panel from the nice chaps at Chilimoto given a Hellraiser mod - bottom cross brace section removed and brackets welded to rear to enable bolt-on easy fastening and removal of the support panel. With the engine/box going in and out so much at the moment, this seemed like a good idea[
Fabrication work was going on strong until the numpty builders chomped through a power cable and knocked out the 'leccy to the workshop for the last three days
then we got distracted... We chuffin' love big ol' race car graphics. And we love Death Spray Customs. You're probably more familiar with DSC's work from his liveries on Ken Block's Hoonicorn vehicles, but we've been fans of his art for a while now. These hoods and their twisted slogans and logos are are part of his "ongoing project that plays with ideas of creation and destruction, indulgence and cynicism that strikes at the heart of the beautiful contradiction that is motorsport". Whatever - we want him to paint our car
So front suspension received some more love and and got some more stiffening up front. Can never have enough stiffening apparently, no one likes a flaccid front end. The front control arms got a bit of polishing a new and to make sure we poke in the right direction
n our efforts to steal good ideas - Kim our master metal worker had a GT350 racer in the workshop..... yes a real one. So he suggested trimming 50mm out of some new wings to match a GT350 racer's modded, and heavier, originals.
love it [a href="|.m/3ST5LP6R"]|https://thumbsnap.com/3ST5LP6R[/a]
This brings us up to February - the month of love - which would have been more loved up if we found that our sexy tremtec gearbox wanted to do the horizontal tango with our coyote. Unfortunately the bell end who sold us the bell end and said mate it will fit was a bell end and didn't know his bell ends.... i think you get he picture
so Mr Google stepped in and after exhausting every possibility we had to obtain our bell end from the UK, we had to go to the US... the big shiny bell end . with delicious Murican irony it brand name is ........
ay! It IS the right Bell Housing. Fits both ends. So after 3 months of waiting for the curse word to arrive, we can get on with the build...
So we wil tease you for a bit - these are the rear suspension arms of an Mustang s550 rear end - this is the one we have tasteful, crafted and caressed in to the back end of ole' hell raiser. The only problem on reflection is these silver bits weigh a US ton of plop........
so we had a thought, got some prices, pondered my partner in crimes, magnetic like attraction at breaking rear ends.
After some serious amounts of if it happened for like the fourth time that would be really unlucky too happen again
and reflecting on the if you brake it you fix it clause in our shared money pit of dreams build agreement we decided tooo..... well that's for another time children but it is dribble worthy..........