thought it was! i used to spend a couple of hours in there every sunday between the ages of 11 & 14 - i've still got a shed load of 2cv parts that i collected BITD that i'm still using! recycling at its best! ;D
ooo that lump should go well in there. I was thinking about it with my old micra, and if i get another I will most likely do the same conversion. I'm guessing its the 1.3 16v and if you don't mind asking how much was it?
RTLK - Paid £150 for engine, 'box, linkage + stick, ECU, keys, loom, driveshafts, hubs, brakes, bottom arms, ARB and a Rover 25 exhaust manifold and downpipe.
Inspired by a picture I saw on t'interweb, when I got the engine I also got myself a manifold and downpipe off a Rover 25. So today was 'making it fit day' Cut off the original flange
Made a new CG flange out of 10mm plate
Chopped the outside 2 pipes about to make them fit the CG port spacing and attach to flange
Removed downpipe flanges and modified downpipes to follow the sump shape, weld inner and outer pipes to manifold
And added the accumulator and a stainless flexi that's been kicking around in the garage for ages
Bolted back onto engine
I've got the day off work tomorrow so I'll be off to the scrappy again in the morning to get a K10 distributor to experiment with, to see if I can avoid having to run the K11 ECU and transponder just to run the ignition. Also need some bits of hose to join the carbs to the inlet manifold that I'm making. More soon
octagonalpaul - going for the 'not leaking oil from everywhere' look mainly, it'll be a nice contrast to what's in there now
gtvsaviour - any excuse John Don't want to have to use the ECU, transponder key and all that wiring just to run the ignition. The thin bit of steel is the backplate but bizarrely that hole is for the cv joint to exit through, the starter bolts into the top of the bellhousing, loads of room in the tin too
Speedle - I'm looking forward to it too ;D
oldbus - Can't wait for the RRG10 track action, this years was what made the decision
Thanks for all the encouragement folks
Over the past 2 weeks I have been mostly pondering the stumbling blocks to me getting this in my car and running. Number 1 was the distributor. I went and bought another K10 dizzy so I could sort that side of things without disabling my car. I immediately discovered 2 things: 1. the K10 dizzy is 6mm smaller diameter where it it fits in the head. 2. the K10 dizzy is female slot drive whereas the K11 is male slot drive. I've thought long and hard about how to get round this and have formulated a plan. I'm having a collar machined up at the moment to locate the dizzy in the head. Annoyingly, I'm perfectly capable of knocking one up myself but can't get access to a lathe outside my working hours so I've had to farm it out to an old boy I know. I'm waiting on a phone call to say it's ready. I'm gonna get round the drive issue by chopping the end off the K11 spindle and having it TIG'd onto the (cut down) K10 dizzy.
I have also had to buy another set of (smaller) bike carbs as the 1st ones I bought are miles too big and the spacing far too wide. Anyone want a set of early CBR1000 carbs, 38mm butterflys? Replacement carbs turned up yesterday morning, since then they've been cleaned, all the jets blown through, all the linkages lubed and the diaphram covers and link bar repainted. I've finished cutting out the inlet manifold flange, die grinder splinters a plenty just waiting on the appropriately sized bits of pipe to arrive, which hopefully will be with me Tuesday.
I've cleaned and painted a lot of bits and fitted them, welded up the heated manifold take off pipes, and fitted the clutch and gearbox. How about some pics?
Brackets to get rid of the aircon and power steering pumps
Theundertaker even donated an old samco hose for the manifold to carb joins, Cheers dude.
ill be interested to see how your DIY dizzy plans work out mate very clever idea indeed! as far as i know no one has ever run a cg13 on any kind of carbs so it will be interesting to see how it performs. keep up the good work!
Cheers folks More progress Picked up the collar to adapt the hole to accept the K10 dizzy on Monday night, seen here in situ
Took the dizzy to work Tuesday to get the K11 drive TIG'd onto the K10 dizzy, guy that was meant to be doing it forgot to do it. Nevermind as SWMBO picked up the special order exhaust bends for me from the local factors. Came home all excited expecting to be building my inlet manifold only to find that they'd ordered the wrong size. Spent the evening in the garage rebuilding the garage computer instead.
Today was better though, got the bends ordered through work, they'll be here tomorrow and the guy at work did the dizzy My hybrid dizzy
Now all I needed to do was make the section for the dizzy to bolt to. The spacer needs to be 20mm thick, I'd only got 10mm so 2 bits were cut to shape, welded together, tidied up and the hole drilled and countersunk for the mounting bolt.
Welded it onto the collar, smoothed the welds up, drilled and tapped the hole to bolt the dizzy on, painted it and fitted it