Next step I thought I would check the rear chassis legs out and was pleasantly surprised that how good these are compared to the rest of the curse word heap. Only very slight surface rust and old underseal.
So out came the wire wheel on the grinder and removed the lose crap then gave it a good coat of Jenolite
I also done the same to the passenger side rear arch are. This has already been done from when I made the rear tubs up.
Cleaned off the Jenolite with thinners to get rid of the white powdery residue left behind in the rear tub. Seam sealer all the edges where metal lapped to make it all water tight then painted it up in red lead
Right then next bit. Rear sill and rear door area. I was thinking about replacing the whole sill but under closer inspection it only really needed the last 15" inches done so I opted to go for the repair instead of replacing the whole thing. There was a bit about 4" of the rear inner sill needed repairing do all in all it was in fair condition for 52 year old and had been cut open some time ago
Then on to the door. Obviously there was a door there originally but had been welded in. I have opened up the welds and pulled the door skin open a little as it was done to far in and needed a ton of filler. Now there should be minimal filler later on.
The door bottom had previously been cut out by whoever I don't know. It was a little premature as I've done shut loads to this before getting this far.
I slid a bit of steel behind the hole above the sill and drew onto the steel the shape of the hole. Cut it out 10mm larger then joggled the edges so it sits better in the hole and is less likely to distort the panel while spot welding it in. I folded the bottom of the plate to give it some strength when welding it to the top of the sill. This went better then I thought it would go.
Moving onto the rear floor area underneath. There are a few holes in this bit. A fair few of them have been drilled for various reasons like over the years.
I'm not to worried about under there as not seen by anyone apart from the mot tester once a year so just plated them. I think this has been saved by a mad man so it's lucky it'll end up on the road. I painted on Jenolite to kill the rest of the surface rust.
Last little bit for this side is the lower front corner of the rear door area previously cut out. Simple repair again by just letting a bit of steel in. There was loads of expanding foam behind this. Bloody curse word is everywhere.
So that's it for this for this side for now. I will do all in the front of it in one go. Next step turn it around
Managed to turn it around and make a start all over again. Bonus thing is that boot floor area is done so I got straight onto the rear tub area I previously done. I hadn't painted this and it started to get light surface rust. I wire wheeled it down and Jenolited it and the chassis area. I did have to put a plate at the bottom on the tub.
Then seam sealed all the joints then applied a coat of red oxide
Here goes the front part of the floor and chassis area. Not so good this side. Obviously had water getting in for a long time ND just bodge welded up. I kept seeing pepper holes appearing while wire wheeling it so thought bullocks and cut most of it out. A lot of tidying up needs doing, inner sill repairs and chassis work. Should keep me busy for a while
So on with making a start on this area. First I done was to cut the rotten bit of inner sill out and fabricate a new peice and let it in. I cut the rear chassis bit right back to the chassis that runs forwardsand made up a new bit of chassis and welded that in. Starting to take shape but still lots more to do here