This is another car I'm working on. Its a very long term project that I'm doing for a friend of mine. It has been his dreamcar for as long as I've known him.
When I started on it, a couple of years ago, I posted about it on two forums. One got hacked and lost all its content, and I never bothered to put it back up. I still had the other one...
At some point we had to stop the project, because of time and money restraints. And recently I started working on it again.
But the forum that the one remaining thread was on has moved on, got more focused, and the little Italian racer doesn't fit there anymore. So picking up where I left off, and adding new updates, is no longer an option.
But given the nice responses I got here on my Fiat 500 build, I thought it might be a good idea to copy the tread about the Zagato until its current. And then post updates as they happen.
The next post will be the 1st post of that thread...
( I'll have to figure out how to use the pics as I posted them there, so I don't have to upload them all on Photobucket, so I'll have to try and see what it looks like...)
I'm restoring a Fiat Abarth Zagato Double Bubble for a buddy of mine.
This is pretty much how we got it.
Lots of rust on the Steel ( Fiat 600 ) underside, with really nasty repairs on top of that, Radiused Inner & Outer Wheelwells for oversize tires on steel Fiat 124 Wheels. A couple of Fiberlass Flairs popriveted & bondo'd on, some popriveted repairs to the Rockers. And Aluminum Diamond plate instead of the stock ( steel ) floors, held in with lots of tiny screws...
It had a Fl navy base parking permit sticker on the windshield, so that probably explains all the electrolysis... ( lots of damage to the Aluminum skin...)
After we got all the layers of Paint & Bondo off it, it started to look a little better. ( but it also showed some more problem area's )
There is old ( Race ) damage to some of the Fenders, Roof, etc. ( It had a Rollbar at one point )
Because of how the "repairs" were done ( Popriveted panels to rusted out steel, screws, and fiberglass mat & resin ), this was one flexible car.
It was really even too weak to jack up I found this out when I tried the Campy's off my 1000TC Racer on it...
So what I did was, I used the stock Fiat 600 I have ( as a backup, incase I ever crash my Racer ) to build a jig to hold the Zagato.
We thought about using that car to repair the Zagato, but the only thing wrong with that car is that the Floor Boards are lacy. Apart from that its a nice low milage car, never Raced, crashed, or hit, as far as I can see. ( with the nicest doorgaps I've seen on one of those )
So we'd throw away the good parts off that car to use the worst ones...
The jig also doubles as a rotisserie.
It bolts to the Suspension pick up points, and it has all the measurements of the good stock 600.
After I got the Zagato bolted in I could start with getting rid off the old Repairs.
So here it is, hanging in the Rotisserie, and I'm carving away until I get to good Metal...
Inner and outer Rockers were wasted. Floors were gone. And the Spine was to bad it really couldn't be saved either. When I had that cut out it looked really scary...
There is a Box section going from side to side, it ties the Spine to the Rockers, to the Wishbone sections on both sides of the Gearbox. And it is a pickup point for the Rear Suspension. But it was so rust damaged I had to completely cut it out as well.
Fortunately when we got the car we also got a floor from a Donor Car. But it was cut out too short, and the Floorpans were lacy as well.
The Inner Rockers were cut down and Welded in, so now I had to copy the profile off the Tops.
Several 90deg bends close together, and the main ( thick ) part has a slope in it to about 7.5" in front of the B Pillar, and goes horizontal in front of that. ( the underside of the door has the same shape )
Fortunately one of the 2 sides was still good enough to take measurements off ( but too crusty to stay in the Car... )